What is Construction Law Today?
Construction Law Today is a legal blog about construction contracts, disputes, finance, and the people whose job it is to deal with them. Our approach is to talk informally about each of these things. And talk straight and to the point, without a lot of technical jargon and legalese. Think of it like sitting down with a friend from school who is a construction lawyer to talk over a cold and refreshing beverage.
Here you’ll find analysis and commentary on topics like these:
- News and developments affecting design, development, and construction
- Suggestions for negotiating better design and construction contracts
- Avoiding disputes and reining them in when they’re unavoidable
- Insolvency, including bankruptcies, ABCs, and bank failures affecting the construction industry
- Proposed legislation affecting designers, builders, material suppliers, and owners
Who is Joshua Glazov?
Josh Glazov has represented owners and contractors in both public and private construction transactions and litigation, and represented numerous owners in negotiating contracts with contractors and design professionals. He focuses on preparing documentation integrated with electronic media to enhance collaboration among a project’s respective participants.
He is also author of numerous articles and book chapters on construction and development law, design and construction contracts, disputes, and finance, including:
- Construction Contracts and Risk Allocation: The Owner’s Perspective, Chapter 4 of Construction Law In Illinois published by the Illinois Institute of Continuing Education
- Condominiums, Condo-Hotels, and Timeshares: Unusual Construction Issues in Multi-Owner Projects, The Real Estate Finance Journal, Spring 2007
- Fractional and Timeshare Exit Strategies For Troubled Condominiums: What Lenders Would Like to Know, The Real Estate Finance Journal, Spring 2009
Josh is also a member of the American Resort Development Association, where he serves as chairman and participant on several committees that write new laws and regulations, and is quality control manager on projects his son builds.
- Contract counseling, preparation, and negotiation for design and construction contracts
- Contract terminations: for cause and for convenience
- Construction insolvency: bankruptcy, assignments for the benefit of creditors, bank failures
- Risk assessment and management
- Claim analysis
- Dispute resolution: bilateral and multilateral settlements, mediation, arbitration, and litigation
- Project experience includes:
- Energy (wind, fossil fuel refining, pipelines)
- Office buildings
- Road and highways
- Entertainment (theatres, sporting venues)
- Single unit and multiunit residential
- Illinois and Florida
- United States District Courts: Northern District of Illinois; Northern, Middle, and Southern Districts of Florida
- The University of Miami School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 1995
- The George Washington University, B.A., 1992